Kanapaha Botanical Gardens (Gainesville, Florida) is a 68 acre non profit facility comprised of 24 major collections visually accessible from a 1 ½ mile paved walkway. These include the state's largest public display of bamboos and the largest herb garden in the Southeast. Some of Kanapaha's gardens are organized taxonomically; others demonstrate principles of ecology or natural selection. Kanapaha Botanical Gardens is a premier Gainesville wedding venue with both indoor and outdoor rentals for wedding ceremonies, wedding receptions, meetings, retreats, conferences and other social functions. Kanapaha's signature plants include a premier stand of Chinese royal bamboo (Wong Chuk), and--during the warm months--giant Victoria water lilies and Asian snake arums. The months offering the most color are June through September. Kanapaha hosts many special events throughout the year including a Bamboo Sale and North Central Florida's premier horticultural event, the Spring Garden Festival. Except during special events, like our Spring Garden Festival, dogs are permitted on leashes. Picnic baskets are welcome and there is a picnic area very close to the entrance building. Kanapaha's walkways are largely wheelchair accessible and benches, gazebos and other rest stations are liberally spaced throughout the facility.
Monday - 9am to 5pm
Tuesday - 9am to 5pm
Wednesday - 9am to 5pm
Thursday – Closed
Friday - 9am to the 5pm
Saturday - 9am to the earlier of 7pm and dusk*
*this time of year, we close at 5:15pm on Saturday
Sunday - 9am to the earlier of 7pm and dusk*
*this time of year, we close at 5:15pm on Sunday
No entry 45 minutes before closing
• Hours of operation during special events differ from hours listed above (please see events)
• We are closed for Christmas Day
Children (ages 5-13): $5
Children under 5: Free (when accompanied by parent)
• Admission prices vary for days with special events (please see events)
• Admission tickets are sold at the greetings desk upon entry
• When you visit Kanapaha, consider applying the price of your admission (on non-special event days) toward an annual membership to Kanapaha on the day of your visit. Simply go to the greetings desk and your admission can be directly converted to an annual membership
Dogs are welcome into the facility on non special event days on non retractable leashes as long as they are:
- always under their owners control
- up to date on vaccines and have no history of aggression.
- no retractable leashes
- dogs should be kept on the sidewalk and fielded areas and not go into our mondo grass borders or other plantings.
Dogs are not allowed on March 23 & 24, 2023 due to the Spring Garden Festival
Guests are welcome to bring in food and drinks and have a picnic. We have a picnic area north of the entrance building as well as many gazebos and benches along the trail. Guests are welcome to bring a blanket and use our lawn areas as well. Minimal snacks (chips and crackers) and drinks (water and soda) are sold at the entrance building.
Kanapaha consists of a mile and a half of handicap accessible paved sidewalk. We have many benches and gazebos placed throughout the gardens for guests to rest.
We have some wheelchairs (non-electric) available at no extra charge on a first come first serve basis. We do not allow guests to utilize golf carts.
Copyright © 2023 Kanapaha - All Rights Reserved.